Originally established as the Golden Eagle Winery in the mid-1800s, the Lonz family took it over in the 1920s. Over the years, this Bavarian castle-like structure built in 1942 has been visited by five U.S. presidents and a number of celebrities. In 2001, the state of Ohio acquired the land and established Middle Bass Island State Park. Enologist Claudio Salvador continues to make Lonz wines, a tradition he started in 1979.
Image courtesy of the Ohio Wine Producers Association.
Ohio Wine Producers Association. (1980). Lonz Winery, 1980. https://oaks.kent.edu/node/5993
Ohio Wine Producers Association. 1980. “Lonz Winery, 1980”. https://oaks.kent.edu/node/5993.
Ohio Wine Producers Association. Lonz Winery, 1980. 1 July 1980, https://oaks.kent.edu/node/5993.