The history of winemaking on Kelly’s Island began in the 1842 when Datus Kelley planted the first crop of Isabella grapes. Over twenty years later, the Kelly’s Island Wine Co. opened its doors and operated successfully until the era of prohibition. The island’s historical roots in the wine industry and the strong reputation of the former winery motivated the Zettler family to reestablish the name in 1982 and open a winery in the Nicholas Smith house.
In the 1990’s, the owners opened a new winery with a cellar for public viewing adjacent to the original winery. The location caters to vacationers and offers a tasting room, gift shop, restaurant with dining room, and covered outdoor pavilions. Known for its sweet wine, all wines are produced and bottled on site.
Image courtesy of the Ohio Wine Producers Association.
Ohio Wine Producers Association. (1983). Kelley’s Island Wine Co., 1980s. https://oaks.kent.edu/node/6013
Ohio Wine Producers Association. 1983. “Kelley’s Island Wine Co., 1980s”. https://oaks.kent.edu/node/6013.
Ohio Wine Producers Association. Kelley’s Island Wine Co., 1980s. 1 Jan. 1983, https://oaks.kent.edu/node/6013.