Located about an hour from Cincinnati on the banks of the Ohio River, Ken and Mary Moyer purchased the land with a rustic building on site in 1972 intending to open a small winery. Built in 1926, the building had been a dance hall for bootleg beer during prohibition, a place for amateur boxing, and a truck stop before it was converted into a winery and a restaurant.
In 1999, the Moyers sold the winery to a group of friends dedicated to maintaining the same quality and tradition. Producing about 2,500 cases annually, the vineyard provides Vidal Blanc, Chambourcin, DeChaunac, Traminette, Cabernet Franc, and Concord grapes. The winery also sources grapes from other areas.
Image courtesy of the Ohio Wine Producers Association.
Ohio Wine Producers Association. (2016). Moyer Vineyard, 1994. https://oaks.kent.edu/node/6024
Ohio Wine Producers Association. 2016. “Moyer Vineyard, 1994”. https://oaks.kent.edu/node/6024.
Ohio Wine Producers Association. Moyer Vineyard, 1994. 27 May 2016, https://oaks.kent.edu/node/6024.